The Journal of Indian Institute of Science is a multidisciplinary reviews journal, each issue focuses on a special topic and contains review articles from researchers invited by the guest editor. IISc Journal is now distributed by Springer worldwide. Following are the guidelines to the guest editor(s).
Guest editor(s) are registered in the editorial manager with respective to their volume and issue numberwith special issue title. Once the registration completes the guest editors will receive the login details.
- Guest editor(s) are requested to provide the accepted list of authors/contributors of their issue to journal office.
- You are free to invite 15 or more review articles from the experts (India and abroad) working in the area of the special topic chosen to guest edit the issue. There are no restrictions to the number of pages for submitting the article/manuscripts and the submission can be under the Springer editorial system in the prescribed format.
- The accepted authors/contributors list will be shared with Springer team to invite authors to submit their papers along with instructions how to submit the papers in the Editorial Manager.
- Margin notes: “Multidisciplinary review articles appearing in this journal are meant for readers from many different disciplines. Kindly request authors to include a short explanatory note of the terms that might be widely known within a particular field, but not known to researchers in other fields. These explanatory notes will appear in the margins. The authors should use their judgment to identify such terms and provide short explanations (one to three sentences). When the authors submit the papers, the terms should be highlighted in the text in a way (different colour, italics etc.) to help the typesetter decide the location of the explanatory terms in the text.”
- Reviewing all the articles by one or more reviewers/experts is necessary if that is essential.
- We have introduced a Lead article since 2020 December issue written by an identified Science Writer for each issue. You are free to suggest the subject experts or science writers for your issue. The purpose of this to give a general picture of the theme to act like an appetizing popular account of the theme for the articles in the issue.
- The Guest Editors are entitled to invite Advertisements and send us your details if any.
- Editorial by the Guest Editor (s) is required along with the soft copy of the photograph and a short biography.
- One good picture/photograph/drawing for the cover page is required. You can either choose few from the articles or can select any images of your choice which is suitable to the title of the issue.
- Guest Editor needs to approve all the final proofs before publication.
- The issue should be published three months ahead of the cover date. Hence we request that, all the submitted articles/manuscripts with review and acceptance to be made ready 60 days prior of publication. So that the Springer production team have sufficient time for production process (copyediting, layout design, proofing, revision and final proof to publish online). The tentative timeline would be shared to guest editors in the covering letter accordingly as per the cover date.
- There will editorial board member to help the guest editors to publish the issue.
- We hereby request you to attend the Editorial Board meetings as and when invited by the Editor.
- We have started audio podcast with a professional team for all the guest editors for increasing the awareness about the Journal. It can be recorded on Zoom or some other online platform at your convenience. The podcast can be recorded before the issue or after the issue is published at the convenience of the guest editor. Journal office will guide and communicate with guest editors accordingly. The duration of the podcast is 30 min.
IMPORTANT: Kindly alert all the invited authors not to accept ‘Open Access’ during the publication process online in the Springer editorial manager system. In that case, the authors are required to pay the applicable charges.
For more details, please check the below link for the previous journal online:
Journal online: https://link.springer.com/journal/41745. |
Online submission: https://www.editorialmanager.com/iisc/default.aspx|
For more enquiries feel free to write to MsKavitha Harish at Journal office at IIScPress,
Office of Communications, IISc: firstname.lastname@example.org
GUIDELINES TO AUTHORS
1. The Journal of the Indian Institute of Science is a multidisciplinary review journal. Its readership is spread across many disciplines. Therefore, the authors should provide sufficient background to the topic to help readers understand the context of the review article. This should be followed by a comprehensive discussion of the topic tracing its history from the past up to the present. Authors may include, at the end of their article, their perspectives on the future challenges and opportunities in that topic.
2. There are no upper limits on the length of the article.
3. The article will be printed in full colour on art-quality paper. The authors should use colour in their illustrations (figures and tables) to make them most effective.
4. The authors are requested to identify one or two eye-catching figures from the article for possible inclusion on the cover of the journal. The figures identified for the cover may be re-sized or slightly modified by the typesetter if they are used for the cover page.
5. Marginal Notes: Multidisciplinary review articles appearing in this journal are meant for readers from many different disciplines. Authors are therefore requested to include a short explanatory note of the terms that might be widely known within a particular field, but not known to researchers in other fields. These explanatory notes will appear in the margins. The authors should use their judgment to identify such terms and provide short explanations (one to three sentences). When the authors submit the papers, the terms should be highlighted in the text in a way (different colour, italics etc.) to help the typesetter decide the location of the explanatory terms in the text.
There should be at least two margin notes in each page of the paper.
6. All articles should be comprehensively referenced.The references should be cited as superscripted numbers within the text of the article. Bibliographic reference, or references and notes, should be numbered serially. Notes and references should follow the main text and should conform to the following format:(a) G. R. Naidu and P. R. Naidu, Isotope exchange study of nickel xanthate in the presence of toluidines, Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. A, 87, 443-446 (1978)(b) C. Giacovazzo, Symmetry in crystals, Fundamentals of crystallography, pp. 1-60, Oxford University Press (1992).(c) Chen, Yuen Ren, Superconductivity at high temperatures, Lawrence Erlbaum, (1996).
7. Login as author once your name registered by the Guest Editor. Click on the online submission link: https://www.editorialmanager.com/iisc/default.aspx. You will receive an intimation to submit your review article manuscript for the special issue through the Springer Editorial Manager System. Kindly wait till you get intimation from the Guest Editor to submit the article online.
8. Short biographies and photographs of all the authors need to be provided along with the article. The postal and email address of the main author arerequired in order to provide contact details in the article.
9. Although the articles for this journal are solicited or invited by the guest editor, they will be sent for review to ensure readability and clarity for a multidisciplinary audience. Hence, authors are requested to suggest three or four possible reviewers to the guest editor. The suggested reviewers should be well-versed with the topic so that they can provide useful feedback.
10. The authors are expected to seek permissions for figures, tables, and illustrations that are taken from published sources, from the respective publishers. The Guest Editor should ensure that all permissions are in place.
11. The authors should ensure that their article is thoroughly proofread both at the time of submission and after the proofs are provided to them just before publication.
12. The Journal is expected to be ready to publish during the first week of the first month for the particular issue, example: (Jan.-March) issue is expected to be ready by First week of January.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If the authors desire their work to be under “open access” (free online availability of articles to anyone who wants to access and use the results) and select the “open access” option in the Springer Editorial Manager System, they will be charged a fee.
Journal online: https://link.springer.com/journal/41745